HORROR LOVERS SPOT

A MELTING POT OF ALL THINGS IN THE HORROR GENRE AND FOR LOVERS OF HORROR!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark



Last week I watched a movie called, "Don't be Afraid of the Dark", and it was absolutely horrible. The movie actors are, Guy Pierce, Katie Holmes, and Bailee Madison as the little girl. I like Guy Piece's acting normally but I'm not a Katie Holmes fan at all but I wanted to see it just to give it a chance and of course it's because a horror film. It was completely different than what I thought, in a bad way.

Here's a brief synopsis and movie statement:


"A young girl sent to live with her father and his new girlfriend discovers creatures in her new home who want to claim her as one of their own."

Even the concept of this film, I didn't enjoy. The little girl who is the main character spends most of the movie not talking and is very sullen. She then discovers the creatures from the furnace of the old mansion that she and her dad, " Guy Pierce and girlfriend, Katie Holmes had just moved into. Finally this lonely little girl Sally opens up the furnace in the the basement because she starts hearing voices calling out her name. Shen naively sets these creatures free. At first Sally thinks they are nice and friendly but can only be out when it's dark out, hence the title.
When Sally finally figures out these creatures are trouble, she confides to Katie Holme's character who believes her and goes to research the story of the old house.

I wouldn't want to give away the ending, in case you still want to check this horrid and predictable film out.

I wanted to see the movie also because it was written by Guillermo del Toro, who's work I usually enjoying watching. If he had been directing the movie, it might have been a little better but not as much. I found my self laughing so hard just because of all the bad acting in "Don't be Afraid of the Dark." I can honestly say that there wasn't anything I enjoyed about this film and being completely honest in this movie review.

Now if you are like me and feel you have to see it just because it's supposed to be a "horror," which it isn't at all. It was a rip off of the movies, "Labyrinth," "The Gate" and the creatures were ripped off from the creatures in "The Descent."

All in all, I give it two thumbs down, Hopefully my next film review will be a better one.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review Ruby! I trust your taste in movies, not just horror movies, completely and after reading your review of "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" I will be avoiding this movie. Like you I have a lot of respect for Australian actor Guy Pearce and I loved him in movies like "Memento" and the superb "L.A. Confidential" but even the most exceptionally gifted actors are prone to appearing in movies which are unworthy of their talents and clearly "Don't be afraid of the dark" is not what it might have been, but merely an inferior immitation of other horror and fantasy movies like those mentioned by Ruby in her critique. I think the message is don't be afraid of the dark, but do be afraid of terrible, turgid films like this! I love your reviews Ruby and can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete